Ashtanga Yoga: Practice & Philosophy

Ashtanga Yoga: Practice & Philosophy

Angelita 0 4 10.16 19:15

Bandhas (energetic locks) help to control the breath and prāṇa (vital energy) as it moves around the nervous, circulatory and respiratory systems (from the mūlādhāra/root chakra, towards the sahasrāra/crown chakra, along the central suṣumṇā nāḍī of the nervous/energetic system). Bandhas are energy locks that are located in different parts of the body. Its not only the body that blocks access to certain postures - the mind also holds the keys. Bandhas or muscular contractions lift yourself in postures from the inside. All three bandhas can be engaged and activated. There are three main bandhas in yoga- mula bandha, uddiyana bandha, and Jalandhara Bandha. Each bandha has the potential to improve your yoga practice. In ashtanga yoga we mainly focus on mula bandha and uddiyana bandha. The ashtanga yoga primary series is called Yoga Chikitsa in Sanskrit which can mean yoga therapy. You might also find my Guide to Counting in Sanskrit interesting. There are different types of pain, so it’s essential to speak up and find out more. If we think back to the foundations of the practice; the three points of attention, it’s suitable for everyone.

For me I think you should be equal with your students. However, once students have learnt these postures, they can instead turn their focus to another of the eight limbs of Ashtanga: the breath. I have been lucky enough to have practiced at both centers. And so for example, if I only have 30 minutes, then instead of not practicing at all, I may choose to practice Ashtanga short form which may include sun salutations, standing postures, and the finishing sequence. The Ashtanga opening chant offers gratitude to the lineage of teachers who have enabled this ancient practice to survive over the years. Improvement In Wellbeing (Depression & Anxiety) - Yoga as a whole has been found to have positive effects on wellbeing and inner peace, by calming down the nervous system. Based on a study carried out in 2017, Ashtanga yoga can be used as an intervention to improve psychological wellbeing. From doing home practice you realise you can practise without your teacher, you can practise without the ‘ideal’ conditions. Pranayama- Literally meaning ‘vital life force’ in Sanskrit, pranayama is all about the breath and is the foundation of yogic practice. In an Ashtanga Mysore class, each practitioner flows through the set sequence at their own pace, following the rhythm of their own breath.

Mysore style class - This is unique to the Ashtanga yoga method. Click here to learn about the 10 wonderful benefits of Ashtanga Yoga. Similarly, the ashtanga half primary series is also ashtanga short form. However, when we refer to ashtanga half primary we generally mean practicing all the seated postures all the way to Navasana and then doing the closing sequence. The teacher guides the class through the sequence of poses. Due to the repetition of many forward bends in primary series, we are also lengthening the tissues all along the back line of the body in this sequence. This means that the teacher chants each line and then the students repeat. I think inclusive means to embrace different life, different people, envision the varieties we can accommodate. And yet, practicing in Mysore style classes can be very freeing as it slowly becomes a more internal practice and we are guided by our own breath. What is Ashtanga Mysore Style?

It is referred to as a Mysore class, and it is in this workout students begin to absorb the Ashtanga yoga poses, allowing practitioners to follow the Ashtanga set routine at their speed. Increase In Strength - During our practice we turn up our internal heat and ask the body to move through a variety of weight bearing poses, considered as difficult poses, such as plank pose, lower plank pose, and downward-facing dog. Through a daily practice that involves flexion, expansion, twisting, and inversions, we aim to purify the body and neutralize imbalances. Ashtanga short form is when we practice just one section of the primary series. One big difference is that Vinyasa doesn’t follow a fixed set of postures and allows room for creativity. The postural practice (with controlled breathing and concentration) is a psycho/physical discipline that helps us attain a one pointed focus, strength, flexibility, courage, resilience, determination and balance through controlling the mind, the body and the breath. It is known for its emphasis on strength, flexibility, and mental focus. I have discovered that even in Ashtanga Yoga, which has always been considered more intense and rigid than other styles, there is a correspondence in the hearts of other people of what Yoga has been always for me: love and inclusion.

For more info in regards to What is ashtanga yoga have a look at the site.

Comments