Lady Gaga's weight loss for Joker film praised Joaquin Phoenix

Lady Gaga's weight loss for Joker film praised Joaquin Phoenix

Mazie 0 5 09.19 04:35
Lady Gaga was praised by co-star Joaquin Phoenix over her 'impressive' weight loss for their latest flick.

The 38-year-old singer was recognized by her 49-year-old co-star - who revealed he 'almost lost his mind' due to his diet - during a press conference for Joker: Folie à Deux at the Venice Film Festival on Wednesday.

Joaquin was discussing his personal weight loss for the original 2019 film before praising the Poker Face hitmaker whose real name is Stefani Germanotta.

He said: 'Stefani also lost a lot of weight.

'I remember when I first met you in rehearsals and then you went away for like a month and then you came back, you lost a lot of weight.'

Lady Gaga was praised by co-star Joaquin Phoenix over her 'impressive' weight loss for their latest flick Joker: Folie à Deux

The 38-year-old singer was recognized by her 49-year-old co-star during a press conference at the Venice Film Festival on Wednesday

The Oscar-winner continued praising Gaga as he added: 'It was really impressive. It seemed very difficult.'

Read More

Joaquin Phoenix reveals he 'almost lost his mind' after diet to lose three stone for The Joker

The admiration was mutual between the stars as Joaquin plays Arthur Fleck AKA The Joker and Gaga plays Harleen 'Lee' Quinzil AKA Harley Quinn .

Gaga told her co-star: 'I think we transformed into our characters over a period of time and we continued to hone in every kind of detail.'

The last time that actor Joaquin played The Joker, he had to drop over forty pounds (three and a half stone). He went on a diet of lettuce, asparagus and apples which he said made him almost lose his mind.

Five years later he has returned to the Oscar-winning role again in Joker: Folie a Deux - and says that he had to lose almost the same amount of weight once more, and is never doing it again.

Speaking at the Venice Film Festival he said: 'I'm not going to talk through specifics of the diet, because I just think nobody wants to hear that.

'But this time, it felt a bit more complicated just because there was so much dance rehearsal that we were doing, which I didn't have last time. 

'It felt a bit more difficult, but it is safe. But you're right, I'm now 49, I probably shouldn't do this again. This is probably it for me.' 

Joaquin was discussing his personal weight loss for the original 2019 film before praising the Poker Face hitmaker whose real name is Stefani Germanotta as he said: 'Stefani also lost a lot of weight. I remember when I first met you in rehearsals and then you went away for like a month and then you came back, you lost a lot of weight'

Joaquin has revealed he 'almost lost his mind' after surviving on a diet of 'lettuce, asparagus and apples' to lose three and a half stone to play The Joker (Seen left in the film and right at Venice Film Festival on Wednesday)

The last time that actor Joaquin Phoenix played The Joker, Arthur Fleck, he had to drop three and a half stone - and he has revealed he had to do so again

He added: 'I know I was responsible last time for talking about it, but it's difficult to do so. 

'That becomes your obsession because you're working the entire time to get to a certain weight.

'So then you end up talking about it, and then it just sounds like an actor going on and on about how much weight they lost.

'By the end of that run I was so sick of myself and angry at myself for making such a big deal about that part, because you just do what you're ****ing supposed to do. So this time I was like, 'I'm not going to do that'.'

He then whispered: 'It was 47 pounds,' before adding: 'No, I'm joking. I don't know.'

Co star Lady Gaga, who plays a music therapist at Arkham Asylum, said: 'We rehearsed the waltz in the film for two months which kind of falls apart. 

'When Joaquin was too hungry we fed him blueberries.'

Phoenix said: 'Part of the joy for me was to take standards and find a way that was specific to the characters. 

'That was part of what was interesting for us. We started off with references like Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr and ดูหนังHD we started to emulate that sound.'

Speaking at the Venice Film Festival he said: 'I'm not going to talk through specifics of the diet, because I just think nobody wants to hear that'

Five years after the first film, he has returned to the Oscar-winning role again in Joker: Folie a Deux - and says that he had to lose almost the same amount of weight once more, and is never doing it again (Seen left before filming in 2018 and right after)

'But this time, it felt a bit more complicated just because there was so much dance rehearsal that we were doing, which I didn't have last time,' Joaquin said of the weight loss this time round 

Joaquin's weight loss for the first film somewhat 'obsessed' with his weight where he also developed a 'disorder' over pounds (Seen left in the first film and right ahead of filming)

He added that his co-star Lady Gaga, real name Stephanie Germanotta 'wanted to sing live and I did not. In the end, every part of the recording was live.' 

Gaga said: 'The way music is used is to give characters a way to express themselves because the dialogue is not enough.' 

She had to forget her professional training: 'It was about unlearning technique and forgetting how to breathe.'

Director Todd Phillips said that he felt the pressure after the success of The Joker. 

He said: 'I'm more nervous of this one than the first one. The first one we were under the radar, this one everyone was writing on the internet about it.'

The Warner Bros film is released on October 4th.

After the release of the first film, Joaquin shut down rumours he only ate an apple a day to achieve his astonishing weight loss, telling Access Hollywood that he consumed more food than that  ⁠— though not much more.  

'It wasn't an apple a day. No, you've also got lettuce and steamed green beans,' he said of what he ate in preparation for the role. 

The actor previously admitted that 'you start to go mad when you lose that amount of weight in that amount of time'

While speaking with Access Hollywood, Joaquin explained he consulted with a doctor to ensure he lost weight as safely as possible

Although Joaquin has lost weight for roles before, he admitted that 'Joker' director Todd Phillips didn't make it easy on him. 

The Her star recalled how the producer always had the one food item he craved on hand, which made his diet a bit more of a struggle. 

'Todd did have these f*****g pretzels that I love. And he'd just have bags of them in his office!' he said. 'And that was difficult.' 

Joaquin's character is wearyingly thin in the film, and he admitted that he had reservations about taking on such a drastic weight loss. 

'It's a horrible way to live,' he told the New York Times. 'I think [the Joker] should be kind of heavy. Todd was like, 'I think you should do the real thin person.''

Joaquin previously said his extreme diet helped him prepare for the role in more ways than one. 

'The first thing for us was the weight loss — I think that's really what I started with,' he said of working with the film's director. 

'And, as it turns out, that then affects your psychology. You start to go mad when you lose that amount of weight in that amount of time.' 

Joaquin PhoenixLady Gaga

Comments